My eBook, How To Immigrate To Canada For Skilled Workers: The Authoritative Guide To Federal And Provincial Opportunities is available now on Amazon and other online retailers. Get your copy of the essential guide to Skilled Worker class applications today!

For Kindle
For iPad/iPhone
For Nook
For Kobo
For Sony eReader

Also available is my new eBook, "How To Immigrate To Canada In The Family Class: The Authoritative Guide Including Québec And Super Visa Opportunities". Get it at Amazon or the other e-retailers noted above.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

A Texan asked "Why?"

I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat. I'm not a Liberal. I'm not a Conservative. I'm not NDP nor Bloc Québécois. I'm just me. And I love Texas.

I love Texas because it's really unimaginably big. I love Texas because I spent a lot of weeks there working with nice people. And I love Texas because I still have friends there.

One of those friends called me tonight. She was driving in East Texas on her way from one small town to another smaller town. She knows all about the disintegration of my relationship and the sorrow and loss. She's great to me. As we spoke about the future, I said, "You know, come April, I'm going for it - I'm getting back in line to immigrate to Canada."

There was a pause, followed by a long, Texas-style, "Whhhhhyyyyyyyy?"

Good question. And my response was something like this...


"It's not a matter of having my significant other there anymore, obviously. What it's about now, is that over the years, I've come to love and appreciate Cananda. I love Toronto. Now I know Canada isn't perfect, but there is an alignment with my pace of life and my values that is non-existent in the US. I believe we should all accept and take care of each other. I believe that we are all in this together. I believe in tollerance. I believe in peace. I think Canada, as a nation, believes in those things too - even if they aren't perfectly realized.

"In addition, I have skills that Canada can use. American firms have a track record of using people up and then tossing them off. I've made millions for firms here, but there is no sense of appreciation, and no safety net. This is a country of "Economic Darwinists" - Americans believe in survival of the richest. If you don't have money, you DESERVE to be poor. Tough...get a job, bum. Good for the few at the top of the pile. The rest of us are simply widgets to be used. This is experience talking. I know that I won't have a safety net in Canada either - not until I become a citizen (God willing) - but at least there isn't an illusion there.

"I want to live in a country that seeks to balance individual opportunity and social responsibility. I want to live in a country that seeks to make the world a better place.

Canada hasn't welcomed me yet - in fact, it's been difficult. But I still believe in Canada."

My friend from Texas said - "Oh....I get it. That makes sense."


It does if you dare to dream of a better life than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment