My eBook, How To Immigrate To Canada For Skilled Workers: The Authoritative Guide To Federal And Provincial Opportunities is available now on Amazon and other online retailers. Get your copy of the essential guide to Skilled Worker class applications today!

For Kindle
For iPad/iPhone
For Nook
For Kobo
For Sony eReader

Also available is my new eBook, "How To Immigrate To Canada In The Family Class: The Authoritative Guide Including Québec And Super Visa Opportunities". Get it at Amazon or the other e-retailers noted above.

Friday, January 13, 2006

If I had a vote

Like a lot of Canadians, I have been following the election coverage. The Globe and Mail has a nice email update I get every morning, and of course, my evenings with Peter Mansbridge give me another healthy dose through the eyes of the CBC. Early overtures and common sense demonstrated by the Conservatives gave me a feeling that it may be time for a change in the Federal government, even if by a minority Conservative government, but now, weeks later, I'ave heard enough from Harper to scare me silly.

If I had a vote, it would be Liberal.

I owe even the shread of possibility that I have to oneday become a Canadian to the Liberal governments of the past that opened the policy doors to multiculturalism and to immigrants. Without their vision and compassion, I don't think we would recognize modern Canada. I believe that even while flawed, Liberals still represent the Canadian ideals I have come to love more than any other party.

I also believe in redemption. I don't think when someone makes a mistake that you exile them. I believe that the recent scandals that the Liberals have had to face head-on have served as wake-up call and a call to live up to the ideal of "good government" once again. Whereas the other parties see these troubles as an opportunity to strike, I sort of look at it like youwould a restaurant that had just had a food safety scare with the department of health on their backs - if you really think about it - that restaurant should be the safest place to eat!

so my best wishes to the Liberals. If you do manage to hold on or even if you don't - keep your commitments to immigrants and those wishing to make your country their home. We're all watching you.

No comments:

Post a Comment