My eBook, How To Immigrate To Canada For Skilled Workers: The Authoritative Guide To Federal And Provincial Opportunities is available now on Amazon and other online retailers. Get your copy of the essential guide to Skilled Worker class applications today!

For Kindle
For iPad/iPhone
For Nook
For Kobo
For Sony eReader

Also available is my new eBook, "How To Immigrate To Canada In The Family Class: The Authoritative Guide Including Québec And Super Visa Opportunities". Get it at Amazon or the other e-retailers noted above.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The immigrant experience - racism in Canada

TheStar.com - Welcome but unequal?

Good article here noting the experience of 3,000 Canadian immigrants when it comes to racism or un-equal treatment in their experience with government, services and employers.

It's interesting that racism is still alive and well in Canada, just like it is in the US. I guess it's no suprise that in the experience of new immigrants to Canada, the racism is subtle. Canada is a subtle country, after all.

Sometimes I am concerned about the discrimination I may face in Canada as a new immigrant. It doesn't concern me so much that I wont continue to pursue my dreams though. As in the US, racism is primarily excercised by a few ignorant individuals. The institutional experience of those surveyed is mushc closer to what is happening in a lot of western nations.

As the face of a nation changes, so does its biases. Maybe oneday those who have been most victimized will be in control, and maybe they'll be more understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment