My eBook, How To Immigrate To Canada For Skilled Workers: The Authoritative Guide To Federal And Provincial Opportunities is available now on Amazon and other online retailers. Get your copy of the essential guide to Skilled Worker class applications today!

For Kindle
For iPad/iPhone
For Nook
For Kobo
For Sony eReader

Also available is my new eBook, "How To Immigrate To Canada In The Family Class: The Authoritative Guide Including Québec And Super Visa Opportunities". Get it at Amazon or the other e-retailers noted above.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

How to dress in cold weather - update


In a previous post, I let you know what you need to be wearing on a cold day in Toronto (read it here). Since we've had a few days of bitter temperatures here recently, I thought it would be a good time to update my recommendations.

Other than what I've already noted:

  •  Base layer - when it's -10C or below, you really are doing yourself a favour if you wear a base layer of long underwear. The wind will cut through your pants, or jeans. I see a lot of women in their fashionable tights in this weather, but they clearly are NOT in a good mood. Base layer. Think about it.
  • Heavy socks - even if you have to change out of your boots into dress shoes, wear some heavier socks in this kind of cold. I wear hiking socks and they add a lot of comfort to my feet.
  • Think about your nose - Despite all my attempts to stave off the cold and enjoy the outdoors, my nose gets cold and runs in weather like this. I have a couple solutions: My Canada Goose jacket (mine is their Banff model), in what I call "storm mode" allows me to hide most of my face in the coyote fur around the hood (this material was chosen by Canada Goose "because it never freezes, doesn’t hold water, and the uneven hair lengths create a windbreak that protects exposed skin, helping to reduce heat loss from the face"). I can still see out, but have to be diligent at intersections/crosswalks to turn my entire head and look for cars and such. The other solution is a scarf bundled up around my face. This doesn't work as well, because I have to move it when I blow my nose, and the condensation from my breath makes it wet, and then it freezes, and then it gets cold again! But seriously - think about your nose!
That's my update. -24C in Toronto today. Supposedly winters are warmer than ever in Canada, with fewer snow days and fewer days of deep, dangerous cold. But it still gets plenty cold here for a good part of the year, and you need to be prepared to deal with it, unless you want to be a shut-in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment